Calgary's Dental Care
I have been coming here for 10 years and I won't go anywhere else. They are quick and efficient and know what they are doing.
Emergency dental extraction handled in Calgary
Ouch! A slip and fall on wintertime ice or an aggressive hockey practice leaves you with a badly damaged or dislodged tooth. Or maybe you’ve been trying to ignore an intermittent toothache, but wake with a swollen face and acute pain. You can count on prompt, compassionate emergency dental treatments at Calgary Dental Centers, which include Extraction, Pulpotomy, Pulpectomy, Root canals, Fillings, prescription for antibiotic and/or pain killers, etc. We see all types of dental emergencies same day, during clinic hours. If a problem occurs after hours, just call (403) 768-1339 for caring advice.
When a dental emergency requires extraction
We reserve time in our daily schedule to see emergency cases. If your dental emergency requires extraction, the procedure follows these basic steps:
- You are settled into the chair, and the tooth area is thoroughly numbed with local anesthetic. (Extractions with oral conscious sedation or IV sedation are handled at our 17th Avenue Dental Center location.)
- The dentist uses special tools to loosen the damaged tooth from the ligaments and bone that hold the roots in place.
- A sterile gauze pad is placed over the socket, and you bite down gently to stop bleeding.
- You receive care instructions to avoid dry socket and ensure speedy healing, and a prescription for pain management medications, if necessary.
- The dentist may talk with you about options to replace the tooth – a partial denture, bridge, or dental implant – once healing is complete.
While emergency dental extraction sounds a bit unsettling, the procedure is straightforward and usually completed in under an hour.
Most patients relax the rest of the day, eat soft foods for a day or two, then return to their normal routines.
We hope you never experience a dental emergency, but be assured that you are in good hands at Calgary Dental Centers should it ever happen. Become a patient today by calling (403) 768-1339 to schedule an appointment.