Porcelain dental crowns restore Calgary smiles
A dental crown is a jacket made of a strong, durable material. It covers all visible surfaces of a compromised tooth, providing strength and safeguarding against further damage. Porcelain dental crowns
Dental Centers blend beautifully with existing dentition, and restore chewing function.
When a dental crown is appropriate
Dental crowns are quite versatile, with applications that are both functional and cosmetic:
- Large area of decay – Preparing a tooth for a very large filling would leave only a shell, so the tooth would likely break. A crown protects and preserves the tooth.
- Breakage – A crown restores a tooth that has a piece broken off, or with one or more cracks.
- Root canal therapy – Root canal treatment lets you keep a natural tooth, but without blood supply it becomes brittle. A crown keeps it strong for chewing.
- Dental implant – A dental crown is the final step in replacing a missing tooth with an implant.
- Dental bridge – A bridge is anchored in place with crowns on teeth adjacent to the gap.
- Cosmetic enhancement – A dental crown can be used to improve the aesthetics of a tooth – color, shape, or size.
Why choose porcelain?
Porcelain is a white ceramic, fired at high temperatures to reach a glass-like consistency. It has a translucent quality and reflects light, similar to tooth enamel. Each crown is precisely color-matched to the patient’s smile. This material is hard and durable, sturdy enough even for the bite force on back molars. Porcelain resists staining
from beverages and foods, and does not wear or crack easily.
Dental crowns are usually a two-visit process. The tooth is prepared, impressions are taken, and an interim crown is placed. The impressions go to a dental laboratory where your final crown is precision-crafted.
You return in about two weeks to have the temporary removed and the new crown cemented securely.
Calgary Dental Centers welcomes new patients! Call
(403) 768-1339 to schedule an appointment.