Calgary dentist provides treatment for halitosis, helping patients eliminate bad breath and dry mouth.
Halitosis (also known as bad breath) affects about one-third of the population, so you are not alone with your struggle. In 9 out of 10 cases, the halitosis is caused by an underlying problem in the mouth.
Possible causes of persistent bad breath:
- Gum disease: Gingivitis and periodontitis are caused by bacteria collecting on the teeth and between teeth and gums.
- Tongue coating: Some people end up with excessive bacteria on the top surface of their tongue.
- Food: Improper oral hygiene habits can cause bacteria to form on food particles that are lodged between teeth.
- Dry mouth: Also known as xerostomia, dry mouth causes an inadequate amount of saliva in the mouth. Saliva assists in the breakdown of food particles.
- Cavities: Tooth decay can cause a bad odor.
How we can help:
- During your initial consultation, we will take a detailed medical and lifestyle history. This helps us determine your future treatment path. An oral examination will also help us discover if you have a cavity, gum disease, or dry mouth.
- If your halitosis is caused by gum disease or a cavity, we will treat these conditions.
- Ultrasonic irrigation: We will use ultrasonic micro-shockwaves to help clean your teeth.
- Tongue cleaning: We will use special instruments to clean the entire top surface of your tongue.
- Education: We will discuss ways you can combat dry mouth and other halitosis causes.
We want to help you feel confident about your smile! Call us today, (403) 768-1339 or (403) 768-1343 to schedule your free consultation.