Calgary dentist provides treatment for halitosis, helping patients eliminate bad breath and dry mouth.
There is nothing more embarrassing than watching a person recoil from your bad breath. Dr. Hanif Asaria wants all his patients to feel comfortable and self-confident. Calgary Dental Centers wants you to know there is help for halitosis, whether the problem stems from an undiagnosed cavity or from persistent dry mouth.
Halitosis (also known as bad breath) affects about one-third of the population, so you are not alone with your struggle. In 9 out of 10 cases, the halitosis is caused by an underlying problem in the mouth.
Possible causes of persistent bad breath:
- Gum disease: Gingivitis and periodontitis are caused by bacteria collecting on the teeth and between teeth and gums.
- Tongue coating: Some people end up with excessive bacteria on the top surface of their tongue.
- Food: Improper oral hygiene habits can cause bacteria to form on food particles that are lodged between teeth.
- Dry mouth: Also known as xerostomia, dry mouth causes an inadequate amount of saliva in the mouth. Saliva assists in the breakdown of food particles.
- Cavities: Tooth decay can cause a bad odor.
How we can help:
- During your initial consultation, we will take a detailed medical and lifestyle history. This helps us determine your future treatment path. An oral examination will also help us discover if you have a cavity, gum disease, or dry mouth.
- If your halitosis is caused by gum disease or a cavity, we will treat these conditions.
- Ultrasonic irrigation: We will use ultrasonic micro-shockwaves to help clean your teeth.
- Tongue cleaning: We will use special instruments to clean the entire top surface of your tongue.
- Education: We will discuss ways you can combat dry mouth and other halitosis causes.
We want to help you feel confident about your smile! Call us today, (403) 768-1339 or (403) 768-1343 to schedule your free consultation.