Get natural-looking dental fillings at Calgary Dental Centers
Canada.com reports that tooth decay is on the rise among Canadians under the age of 18, making it the most widespread chronic childhood disease. Tooth decay is not limited to children, though. Adults, especially those who smoke or have gum disease, also get cavities. For many years, treatment of choice has been silver-colored amalgam dental fillings. Calgary Dental Centers offers a solution that doesn’t tell the world you had a cavity – composite resin fillings that blend beautifully with your smile.
Benefits of tooth-colored fillings
Composite resin is a strong, white-colored plastic reinforced with finely ground glass. It is usually placed in layers, using a special light to harden the material at each step. Composite fillings are bonded into place, so less tooth structure has to be removed during the preparation phase of treatment. Modern materials are durable enough for even the bite force on back teeth.
Composite resin expands and contracts in response to temperature changes at nearly the same rate as tooth structure, so there is little risk of the filling causing a tooth to crack. This type of filling also helps to insulate a tooth, reducing risk of temperature sensitivity. The restoration is polished to resist staining,
and has a light-reflecting quality that is very similar to natural tooth enamel. Calgary Dental Centers use composite filling materials that are virtually free of BPAs.
Prevention is key
While we take pride in providing strong, durable restorations to remedy tooth decay, our primary goal is to help our patients avoid the need for fillings.
- At regular check-up appointments, we clean areas you cannot see or reach at home. These visits also give us the chance to detect cavities early, allowing the least invasive and most economical treatment.
- We take time to share information and tips on home oral hygiene, nutrition, and lifestyle habits to keep your mouth healthy.
- Our hygienist will demonstrate proper brushing and flossing techniques to help children develop good habits early, or as a refresher course for adults.
- Dental sealant is a clear liquid plastic brushed onto the chewing surfaces of molars. It flows into microscopic grooves and pits where bacteria and bits of food debris can collect and cause cavities. Sealant treatment is fast and painless, and lasts several years. Adults may benefit from sealant as well as children.
- We offer fluoride treatments which strengthen tooth enamel so it resists decay.
Calgary Dental Centers works with you to prevent cavities,
and keeps your smile looking attractive with tooth-colored fillings. Call us today at (403) 768-1339 to schedule treatment.